Prime Minister missteps, ongoing conflict between the U.S. and Iran, and climate change strikes around the world are big news stories this week.
Minnesota is home to the largest Somali American population in the U.S.
It’s a community that’s been in the headlines often recently, but if its members had a direct line to the nation, what would they say?
In partnership with Minnesota Public Radio and Sahan Journal, a nonprofit news organization focusing on immigrants in Minnesota, we sat down with Somali Americans in Minneapolis to find out.
Show and text by Amanda Williams.
1A Across America is funded through a grant from The Corporation for Public Broadcasting. CPB is a private, nonprofit corporation created by Congress in 1967 that is the steward of the federal government’s investment in public broadcasting.
- Mukhtar Ibrahim Editor and executive director, Sahan Journal; @mukhtaryare
- Ubah Jama Teacher, St. Paul Public Schools
- Jaylani Hussein Executive director, CAIR Minnesota; @Jaylanihussein
- Mohamed Issa Barre Hennepin County employee; @junlay99
- Nadia Mohamed Candidate for city council, St. Louis Park, Minnesota; @nadia_joome
- Halima Ahmed Co-leader of the Muslim Student Association, Hamline University
- Haji Yussuf Podcast host; @syussufhaji
Video of Live Across America Event
In partnership with Minnesota Public Radio and Sahan Journal, a nonprofit news organization focusing on immigrants in Minnesota, 1A host Joshua Johnson sat down with Somali Americans in Minneapolis in August, 2019.
Most Recent Shows
The president threatens action against California. His former campaign manager doesn't cooperate with Congress.
Millennials might be accused of killing a lot of industries. The plant business isn't one of them.
We explore one author's quest for truth in an increasingly fake world.